VISITANTES

11.11.14

RON HOOD - PEZ COLLECTORS


É com orgulho que PEZILLA coloca aqui algumas respostas, de um pequeno inquérito a um dos grandes coleccionadores PEZ americano - Ron Hood

It is with pride that the PEZILLA put some answers here, from a small inquiry of one of the greatest american PEZ collectors - Ron Hood

Click to enlarge

What's your name, where are you from?
My name is Ron Hood and I am from the United States currently living in Maine.

How it was born this passion? When and why did you start collecting? You remember your first PEZ dispenser?
My collection started when my son was cleaning his room. It was the late 1980's I believe. I saw a bunch of PEZ in their bags that he placed in a brown paper bag. I asked him what he was doing with the PEZ and he replied, “I collect them.” I mentioned this to a friend of mine and a short time later, he called me up and asked me to come over to his house as his mother was throwing items away as she cleaned the attic. She found a PEZ. Ends up we were given a PEZ Nurse on baby blue stem. It was our first vintage. Soon after, Wal-Mart opened up in our area and we saw our first PEZ on Card. I loved the graphics! Our goal was to create one long row of PEZ that circled my sons room. Now I have a PEZ Room! (click here > ronhoodpez). My son stopped collecting PEZ in his early 20's and it has been my adventure ever since.

Click to enlarge

How many PEZ dispensers you have?
I have over 9,000 PEZ Dispensers and Licensed Items.

Which is your favorite PEZ dispenser?
I actually have 3.
1. The PEZ Nurse because it was my first vintage piece and researching it on a new thing called “the Internet” opened up a wide world of PEZ knowledge for me.

2. Captain Hook because it belonged to a friend of mine who has passed away. Having that in my collection means a lot to me.

3. The Ron Hood Pez because it was given to me by the volunteers in the Big Brothers Big Sisters Program, which was my former employer. The volunteer mentors raised money to commission an artist to make a PEZ Dispenser with my likeness. Even though it is not a “real” PEZ, it has emotional value to me.


How did your family and friends react to your hobby and your collection?
My family and friends are very supportive. In fact, when friends or family are out shopping and they spot PEZ, I usually get a call asking me if I need that PEZ. It is Great!

When it got to the point that I had a PEZ Room, it became something to really talk about. I held “PEZ Room Tours” and had my own candy pack that I gave away to all visitors. Each person that came into my room had their picture taken in a certain area of the room and signed a poster guest book with their thoughts of being in the PEZ Room! There is a lot of pop culture history in collecting PEZ. Everyone that visited my PEZ Room could relate to a PEZ or PEZ Character. It makes it fun.

Do you have some rules for collecting? You collects only PEZ dispensers or any PEZ products?
I have it bad because I truly like it all. I like the Carded PEZ, Bagged PEZ, and Loose. I collect anything with PEZ on it. I like carded first, then bagged, then loose. Pretty much how it goes. I like all the different heads and stem colors...I told you, I have it bad. :)

Where do you buy them? You sell too?
In my early days, I used to get PEZ in bulk and I had a group that I mailed them to so that we all had the next PEZ coming out. It allowed me to grow my collection quite fast. I have since stopped doing that and began to just get what I needed. I have recently begun to sell some of my extra PEZ and it is fun to get back to selling PEZ to other collectors.

Generally, you have a maximum value of money to give for a PEZ dispenser? (optional)
I do not set a maximum in my mind. When I see a good deal, I take it. I do not have a lot of vintage due to the price, but I truly enjoy the PEZ that come home to be in my collection.

What is the maximum amount you offered for a PEZ object? (optional)
I bought a PEZ Candy Vending machine that was a lot of money. I could not truly afford it, but the offer felt like a once in a lifetime opportunity, so I took it. I was crazy!

How can you manage the various dispensers that come out only in some countries?
I follow the PEZ News on-line and via PEZ Collectors News. When you are part of PEZ Collecting groups, you get the opportunity to meet people all over the world. These great collectors are always willing to get you the PEZ you need/want for your collection. PEZ people are truly some of the greatest people I have ever met.

Of the PEZ dispensers that already exist and you do not have, which would you like to have?
There are so many. I am fond of the Make-A-Face and any of the PEZ Fruit (Orange, Pine Apple, Pear).

Which characters would you like to be made as a PEZ dispenser?
I would like to see the characters from The Jetsons as PEZ Dispensers.

Do you think PEZ factory could be more innovative in some dispensers? Why?
I think the PEZ company does a great job as it is. Part of the fun of collecting is to see what will be done next. I do not take their work too literally in terms of judgment as I know a lot of the final design may depend on licensing contracts and approvals.

How do you store them? The dust, is a problem to you?
My PEZ are on the wall in my PEZ Room and those not in the room are in plastic totes. When you collect carded PEZ, you run out of room quickly. I dream of a bigger room. :) Dust is always an issue, but I use a Swiffer hand duster and that seems to do the trick nicely.

Sticker/packing not made by PEZ

Do you have any project related to the hobbie?
Not currently, but in the past I was known for bringing PEZ into my work with my local chapter of Big Brothers Big Sisters.

Big Brothers Big Sisters (BBBS) is a wonderful organization that matches caring adult mentors or “Bigs” with children in need of a good role model. The kids in the program are called “Littles”. There are BBBS programs in many communities across our country.

I was first a mentor coordinator with BBBS and ended up becoming the program director. I used PEZ in my programs in many ways:

First, it was my business card. I used label tape to make sure the dispenser had all my contact information. I would use PEZ in bags. I opened them up from the bottom, slipped the PEZ out, labelled them, placed them back in the bag and ironed the bag closed again. It was perfect! AND...The adults I worked with loved receiving my PEZ Business Card!

Second, I used bagged PEZ in my mentor trainings. When new high school students or adults joined BBBS as mentors or “Bigs,” they had to go through a new mentor training. I would wear my PEZ tie to every training. At the end of the session, I told them about my love of PEZ and told them I had a PEZ for them because every time I wear my PEZ tie, someone is getting PEZ! Every mentor had to answer a question from the training in order to earn their PEZ. The PEZ had my contact information on it as well as the theme of the mentoring program I ran, which was “Mind Body Soul – 20 minutes.” I explained that the best mentoring relationships cover these ares to be sucessful. If you have an hour with your “little,” and you want to make a good impact, spend your time doing 20-minutes of Mind, which is helping with homework, 20-minutes of Body, which is playing a sport, taking a walk, or getting in some physical exercise, and 20-minutes of Soul, which is spending time talking and sharing of yourself. The PEZ were always a huge hit!

Third, I used loose PEZ to share with the “littles” at our BBBS end of the school year celebrations. I would create gift packs for every Big and Little in the program and hand them out at each celebration. The Littles knew they were getting PEZ when they saw me in my PEZ Tie. Remember, I wore that tie every time I gave out PEZ!

Sticker/packing not made by PEZ

I also used Pez for special meetings with other community organizations that I was a keynote speaker to and when the Pez came out, so did the smiles and laughter. It was truly incredible.

Here was the best part of it all. The PEZ I used were always donations from other PEZ Collectors. When I put out the word that I needed PEZ to my online group, I was always sent packages from around the world. Without the help of other PEZ Collectors, I could have never been able to give PEZ to those in the program. And as a thank you, I sent each person who donated PEZ to me a gift bag of their very own!

The PEZ Community is really like an extended family that I felt blessed to be part of.
Click to enlarge

There is currently a lot of desire in social networks, that PEZ Candy in the USA, could be more participatory in the Conventions/Gatherings, as happens in Europe, Middle East or now in Asia. How do you see this situation?
Believe it or not, I have yet to attend a PEZ Convention. I made the decision years ago to not attend conventions so that I could use the money I would have spent on travel, hotel, and meals to buy the PEZ I wanted for my collection. I think it would be great for the PEZ company to provide special convention PEZ dispensers or other goodies, but it is my understanding that their ultimate customer is not the collector, but young children who truly make the profit for their company. PEZ has never called me to be part of their decision making process, so I will leave them alone to make decisions that keep them feeding the appetite of the PEZ Collector.

What advice would give to a new PEZ collector?
Buy what you want and like. I do not look at the value of my collection overall. I buy what I like. My best advice would be to get yourself involved in the wonderful array of PEZ Information Groups on-line. Talk to people, share your love of PEZ, and learn from where they are with their collections. Everyone's opinion is important for you to make your decisions on how you will collect. After you hear enough information, that little voice inside you will tell you how you want to collect your PEZ.


In addition to PEZ, collect anything else? What?
I used to collect pin-back buttons before PEZ, but since I began with PEZ, I love Candy dispensers. I do have some candy dispensers that are not PEZ. For example, Japanese Big Gum Dispensers, Flix, and Kliks. All great to collect alongside PEZ.

Can you spend a day without thinking in PEZ?
I certainly can spend a day without thinking of PEZ, but I honestly can't escape it. I think about it pretty much every single day because many of my friends online are PEZ people, so it is hard to go through a whole day without those three letters coming out of my mouth or being typed by my fingers.

Thanks Ron! :-)

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário