VISITANTES

26.11.14

RYAN RIMMER (SILAS PEZ) - PEZ COLLECTORS


É com orgulho que PEZILLA coloca aqui algumas respostas, de um pequeno inquérito a um dos grandes coleccionadores PEZ americano - Ryan Rimmer

It is with pride that the PEZILLA put some answers here, from a small inquiry of one of the greatest american PEZ collectors - Ryan Rimmer


What's your name, where are you from?

My name is Ryan Rimmer and I reside in Austin, TX, USA! I grew up in Massachusetts and lived there my entire life until I met my wife in 2011 while training for my job in Austin.

How it was born this paisson?
I was 16 (almost 17 years ago) and started listening to the band Less Than Jake. They are a fun punk/ska music group that loves PEZ. I remember attending shows and they would have PEZ on stage and fans would bring them PEZ. I became very intrigued. It was that very same year that my father took me to the 2nd NE Pez Collectors Gathering in Stamford, CT.
This is where I became obsessed with PEZ and the history of it all. This was also where I discovered PEZI and Pez Pals. I purchased my first one at that show. It was a 3.4 Dual IMC Red Banded Sheik. I still have him today.


How many PEZ dispensers you have?
Currently I have between 160 and 170. They are all Pez Pals. I used to collect whistles and MMM's and also used to have a rather large PEZ Space gun/Candy Shooter collection. These have all been sold to fund more pal purchases.

Click to enlarge

Which is your favorite PEZ dispenser?
My favorite dispenser is my 3.4 Nurse with bright yellow hair from Spain. I had the opportunity to last year to get her and I sold most of my PEZ space guns to fund the purchase.

How did your family and friends react to your hobby and your collection?
Well my Dad always knew I loved them a lot. He has not seen the full collection in person though, just pictures. My mother loves the fact that I collect them and am super passionate about them. I would not be able to fully enjoy them if my wife, Amanda, didn't love them too. I informed Amanda about a month before we were going to be married that I collected PEZ. I was pretty embarrassed about it (this was before I found the online PEZ communities). She has been so supportive and let's me talk her ear off about all the differences between all my pals. She came to Pezamania 24 with me and got to see what a bunch of Pezheads are like when all in the same place. She loves the collection and suggested that I move it out of my office and into a more centralized part of the house so that others could see it. So far everyone of my friends who have seen the collection are intrigued and curious about them and the history and why I collect only Pez Pals.

Click to enlarge

Do you have some rules for collecting?
So I decided about a year ago to focus my collection to only be Pez Pals. I collect all variations. My only rule is, if I can notice a difference in color or style just by holding them up in front of me, then I need them both. Variations in hair color, stem color, patent number, country of origin, face color, accessory color, footed, non footed and even (in some cases) inner sleeve color. I also have a small collection of vintage PEZ candy packs and vintage PEZ advertising. I hope to find more PEZI/Pez Pal advertising from the 60's and 70's and really hope to eventually own a few counter display boxes (preferably filled with Pez pals still in cellophane!)

Click to enlarge

Where do you buy them?
I have changed how I buy Pez Pals over the years. eBay is always a gamble. If it is a small dollar amount, and the seller has added enough pictures for me to make an educated decision, I will buy. I have found many rare pieces via eBay and will always go back. I have also found a few higher end dealers that always have the good stuff. While their prices may be retail (based off price guides), I know that the piece I am getting will be in excellent to minty shape. Conventions are the best place to find the cooler variations. This past Pezamania, I brought every Nurse Pez Pal I had, in a protective case, just so I could have the ability to have actual side by side comparisons. I found 3 new nurses with hair colors that were different from others I had!

You sell too?
I do sell, but I only sell to buy more. I look for insane deals on vintage PEZ and resell them. This is not consistent and comes in waves. I recently started my own business, ATX PEZ COLLECTORS, to host my ATX PEZ COLLECTORS GATHERING this March 2015. I am still getting up to speed, but I think this year I am going to try buying a small collection to resell and get more Pez Pals.

Generally, you have a maximum value of money to give for a PEZ dispenser? (optional)
Unless the price is just so high, it's stupid, I usually do what I have to do to get the money to buy the rare Pez Pal. I do not have many possessions other than my collection and my music equipment. I have sold all my other stuff that I have no use for to fund a lot of my collection of the past 2 years.

What is the maximum amount you offered for a PEZ object? (optional)
The maximum amount I offered for a pez object... let's just say it was over $1k.

How can you manage the various dispensers that come out only in some countries?
That is the easy part. :) that is, until they release a new Pez Pal that is only available over seas! If that happens I will move mountains to get at least one! For now, if I acquire one, then I am happy and will resell it over here to fund another PEZ Pal purchase.

Of the PEZ dispensers that already exist and you do not have, which would you like to have?
I would like to eventually get a Bride A and an Alpine Man. Eventually all the different Bride A and Alpine Man variations. :)

Click to enlarge

Which characters would you like to be made as a PEZ dispenser?
Ren & Stimpy would be a great set.

Do you think PEZ factory could be more innovative in some dispensers? Why?
I think that PEZ is over thinking it sometimes when it comes to characters and how they are portrayed on the top of a stem. Look at the original witch or a Pez pal, it's a head, plain and simple and it ain't broken, so why fix it?

How do you store them? The dust, is a problem to you?
I purchase my PEZ displays from displaycasesandmore. David treats me well and the final product is gorgeous. All my pals live together in felt lined display cases with plexiglass doors. Since I do not have many pieces in my collection compared to many others, I decided to put a little more money into how I displayed them. I highly recommend checking out the site. No, David did not ask me to say this hahaha, I just really like his products.

Do you have any project related to the hobby?
ATXPEZ.COM - I am putting together and hosting the 1st ATX PEZ COLLECTORS GATHERING on March 27-29, 2015. I decided after getting back from Pezamania, that I wanted to do something for the southwest. There had been one other Texas gathering back in 2010 I believe, but not in Austin. This will be the first of hopefully many to come! I have a few dealers signed up so far and a good handful of some great pez heads attending. If you can’t attend you can always order an absentee packet. This gathering will have games and get togethers, tasty BBQ, many super great raffle prizes and a charity Auction for Austin Pets Alive!, a local shelter that I adopted one of my dogs from. This being the first year, I expect the turn out to be warm and cozy, meaning that I expect some folks to sit this one out to see what others say about it. Then I hope they attend the 2nd gathering! :)

Click to enlarge

There is currently a lot of desire in social networks, that PEZ Candy in the USA, could be more participatory in the Conventions/Gatherings, as happens in Europe, Middle East or now in Asia. How do you see this situation?
I have called PEZ USA and they will work with you, but you have to order something silly like 30,000 pieces and the set up fee is astronomical. I have my personal opinions as to why I think PEZ USA does not want to follow what PEZ International GmbH does for it's collectors. I won't get in to that. Yes, it is disappointing and yes, I do think that it comes down to money in one way or another. All we USA collectors can do is keep our fingers crossed that our time for cool custom pieces is coming. :)

What advice would give to a new PEZ collector?
- Dive in head first and become totally obsessed with the hobby of collecting PEZ.
- Join the Facebook communities for PEZ and ask questions! Ask, ask, ask! No one will ever get mad at you for wanting to know more about your hobby.
- Attend a convention or gathering. You will learn more in your first room visit, then you would surfing on line.
with that being said...
Search for all things PEZ on line. You will find so much info!
Make Pez friends. We all look out for each other in this community and try our best to make sure the new collectors have a great experience. We will do our best to keep you informed about reproductions, stem swaps and general fakes, as we do to the seasoned collectors. Everyone who collects PEZ is the same in my book. One collection is not better than another, regardless of quantity, quality or rarity. Each persons collection is cherished by themselves and appreciated by everyone else.

Get out there, buy a PEZ dispenser and then buy all the other ones hahahaha


In addition to PEZ, collect anything else? What?
I do not collect anything else other than PEZ. :)

Can you spend a day without thinking in PEZ?
I actually cannot go an hour without thinking about PEZ! I am pretty much obsessed. Between the gathering and my personal PEZ interests, I find that I am always thinking about PEZ and I love it.

Thanks Ryan! :-)

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário